Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Proposal

Saturday, April 19th, 2008: The Date of Our Engagement

On Saturday morning, Dale and I leisurely cooked a delicious breakfast complete with a diverse fruit platter (Kathy Hartley, one of my other mothers and creator of the earth's most aesthetically and palate pleasing fruit platters, would have been proud). After breakfast, we went out for coffee and basked in the surprisingly warm Wyoming sun. As I sipped on a coffee with cream, Dale suggested we walk along the banks of the Snake River and I agreed.

We got down to the river, held hands, walked and talked.

As we conversed, Dale became alarmingly sentimental and spoke about how the happiest moments of his life have taken place along the Snake River. (Dale's hometown of Twin Falls, Idaho is on the river; Pocatello, Idaho, home of Idaho State University, Dale's alma mater, is on the river; where Dale asked me on our first date and where we had our first kiss).

Then, he got down on one knee. He said heartfelt and wonderful things about me and us. I don't remember any of the words he spoke. I can only remember how he made me feel. My heart was beating faster than a hummingbird's and my body was overflowing with glee. Words cannot capture my joy.

He asked, "Will you marry me and make me the happiest man in the world?"

Rings appeared.

I joyfully responded, "Yes, I would love to marry you." We kissed.

A perfect proposal. If there had been an orchestra on the river banks, the music surely would have swelled.

No comments: